May 31, 2012

The Flying Pig

The Flying Pig? I was thinking the menu would be: pork, pork and more pork.Looking at their menu, I realized pork made up only a small part of their menu. Located in Yaletown, the restaurant doesn't have the "pretentious vibe" that Yaletown restaurants have the reputation for. The Flying Pig is casual, and lively.
Through friends and reviews, I heard only good things about the establishment.
Wanting to avoid the long line ups, we arrived around opening and diners were already filling up the restaurant.





The complimentary bread. It's just bread? Cold bread isn't my cup of tea. 

The Main was a Special of The Day and we ordered quite a few of their sides!Starting from the left: Lobster & Prawn Risotto,Crispy Brussel Sprouts,Crimini Mushroom Gratin
The Special of The Day($15) had plenty of mussels and clams, and chorizo. The shellfish were plump, juicy and bursting with flavor. The broth, which was described by our server to be the star of the dish, didn't have much "depth."The flavors from the seafood didn't shine, which was OK for me since all I was focused on were the mussels and clams!


The match stick fries were crispy and nicely seasoned. Reminded me of Hickory Stick Chips, I would order a side of this if I could. Eating these can get pretty messy as the fries are a bit flimsy.

The Lobster Risotto ($9) with mascarpone and thyme was creamy, and the flavors of the seafood stood out. There was a good amount of sea food in there, and I ended up with a piece of lobster in almost every bite. The portion is large enough to be a main, and very filling.

*Recomend*Crispy Brussel Sprouts...how do I describe how good these were?! Perfectly cooked with lime, parmesan and capers, these were SO GOOD! As an anti-Brussel Sprout eater, I couldn't stop eating them.

*Recomend* The Star of our dinner goes to....Crimini Mushroom Gratin! Plump, juicy and of truffle oil, herbs and cheese, ohhhh so good. The flavors burst in your mouth. I'll be ordering one just for myself. No sharing-sorry! 

To finish off our meal, our server convinced us to try their Quebec Maple Sugar Pie. The pie had a bourbon maple filling and a scoop of Vanilla ice cream on top. It's a very rich and sweet pie, and tastes just like it's name. It would have been nice to have it paired with a different type of ice cream. It was very generic, Grocery-store bought to me.

Overall
Casual spot in Yaletown 
Really enjoyed the food-there wasn't a bad dish
Gets very busy on Friday & Saturday nights!

The Flying Pig on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment